The Child Care Council of Orange County, Inc. publishes a training calendar tri-annually: January - April, May - August, September - December.
Mandated Training Requirement Added to Child Care Regulations
The is to update you on the federal Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) pre-service/orientation health & safety training requirements. This federal law requires certain child care employees and volunteers to complete health and safety training by September 30, 2017. These requirements have been adopted as emergency regulations in Title 18 of the New York State Code of Rules & Regulations and a notice of proposed rulemaking will appear in the State Register on March 20, 2017.
Which employees and volunteers are affected by this federal law?
• Caregivers in FDC and GFDC programs (providers, assistants, substitutes)
• Caregivers in small day care centers (providers, assistants, and substitutes)
• Directors in day care centers and school age child care programs
• Teachers and assistant teachers in day care centers and school age child care programs
• Substitute teachers and substitute assistant teachers in centers and school age child care programs
• Volunteers in all programs, who have the potential for regular and substantial contact with children at the child care program
• Legally-exempt group, family & in-home providers, caregivers, employees, & volunteers
What training was developed to meet this requirement?
To implement this new federal requirement, OCFS developed an e-learning session that, will satisfy all required health and safety topics. Called Foundations in Health & Safety. There is no charge for the training, which can be found at: https://www.ecetp.pdp.albany.edu/elearn_catalog.shtm.
To start the training and receive the certificate of completion, each individual must create an Early Childhood Education and Training Program (ECETP) account with the Professional Development Program (PDP). Accounts can be set up in minutes and require only a little information.
Send a copy of your completed Foundations in Health & Safety Certificate to your Registrar or Licensor upon completion.
TRAINING REQUIREMENT CHANGES: NEW DCC and SACC DIRECTORS (and others)
All new Directors of day care centers or school age child care programs hired on or after October 1, 2017 will be required to complete an OCFS 15-hour health and safety classroom training either pre-service, or within 3 months of their start date as Director. In addition, current Directors who have not completed the Foundations in Health and Safety eLearning by September 30, 2017 will also be required to complete the OCFS 15-hour health and safety classroom training. There is a cost associated with this training. The goal for this training is to provide DCC and SACC Directors with information on best practices that lead to high quality child care. Health and safety is offered through the Child Care Council.